OLD SCHOOL COMPACTS (85&Newer) 2021 RULES
1. Must be a 1985 or newer car that has a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine. NO V8's.
allowed. (NO AWD ALLOWED) NO FULL FRAME.
CARS ALLOWED MUST BE UNI-BODY STYLE CHASSIS!
2. Must be the original engine in the car (no modifications of any kind).
3. Must remove all outside body chrome, bumper covers, headlights, tail lights, turn signals and
windows (all glass and plastic objects); this includes all window tar with glass particles. You must also
remove all interior pieces not needed (carpet, back seat, headliner, plastic trim, etc.) These items are a
fire hazard & safety issue.
4. Must relocate battery to inside of cab and must be securely fastened , on front passenger side floor.
Battery in engine compartment must be removed. If the Vehicle came from the the factory with the
battery in the rear seat compartment it may stay as long as it’s securely mounted & covered.
5. Must REMOVE all air bags & air bag cylinders in driver’s & passenger compartment. Along with side
curtain & seat beat air bags.
6. You will be allowed to run an aftermarket or homemade fuel tank in the rear seat area. 8 gallon
maximum. This aftermarket tank is allowed to be mounted on the rear floor area or off of the back seat
bar. The gas tank must be made of steel, stainless steel, or aluminum (no plastic tanks allowed) you are
allowed to fabricate a “gas tank protector” but must remain a minimum of 12” from the doors, 10” from
the speaker deck, and 8” off the floor. THE FUEL TANK MUST BE MOVED INSIDE THE CAR.
7. MANDATORY: You must put in a rear seat bar from driver’s side to passenger side, behind seat.
Welded or bolted (seat bar MUST be welded in if a aftermarket fuel tank is attached to it) with 3”
minimum bar sizes, must have endplates on both ends (4”X 4”) minimum. Rollover bar must also be
used (mandatory) this rollover bar may extend on the exterior of the roof or on the inside of the roof
and must run vertical and not angled forward or backward, this rollover bar can be welded or bolted
to your “backseat” bar or floor tin. Rollover bar must also be welded, bolted, or #9 wired to the roof
8. Front dash must remain in the car and cannot be removed.
9. Must use factory gas pedal, shifter, brakes, steering wheel. Everything must be factory for year, make,
and model of car.
10. Must chain or #9 wire the doors shut in 1 spot only. Trunk and hood must be chained or #9 wired in
4 spots only. Front window opening must have chain or #9 wire in 3 spots to keep the hood from coming
through window opening. HOODS MUST BE OPEN FOR INSPECTION.
11. MANDATORY: Driver’s door must have one outside reinforcement safety plate (max ¼” thickness by
12” wide minimum & must lay flat on the door no channel iron, angle iron, or grader blades allowed)
securely bolted or welded to outside of driver’s door and not to exceed 6” beyond vertical door seams.
12. Must have factory rims of make, model and year of car. Must have same style of tires that came
from the factory. No Trailer or Mud Tires Allowed. You are allowed two doughnut tires only. You may
tube your tires but NO FOAM FILLED OR DOUBLED TIRES!
13. You must remove plastic bumper skins. NO body shaping or square-off fenders . May bend down
hoods in the front. No Tucking of the trunk, you are allowed to completely remove the trunk lid.
Notching of the rear frame is allowed but no pre-bending!
14. You will be allowed to replace the stock front bumper with a piece of 3”x3”x 3/16” thick square tube,
ends of tube must be open and nothing else will be allowed inside. Tube must not exceed 6” outside of
the exterior of the frame rails on both sides. This tube must remain completely straight and have no
point or shape to it. This “Aftermarket” bumper can be welded on the front side of the frame rails (no
shorting of frame rails) with one ½” wide weld bead all the way around. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED ANY
OTHER BUMPER OPTIONS. STOCK BUMPER THAT CAME ON THE YEAR, MAKE, & MODEL OF CAR YOU
ARE RUNNING OR THE ABOVE 3” TUBE. If running the stock bumper you will still be allowed to weld the
bumper on with the same ½” wide weld bead. NO ADDED MATERIAL TO ATTACH BUMPERS!
15. You will be allowed (2) 5/8” bolts or pieces off all-thread as hood bolts. These two “hood bolts” must
only be welded to the sheet metal tin on the top side of the radiator support. On the top side of the
hood you will be allowed a 3” washer to hold the hood down.
16. YOU MUST HAVE AT MINIMUM (2) 8” HOLES CUT IN THE HOOD FOR FIRE CONTROL.
This is a “knock the windows out and run” class--any extra modifications will result in disqualification.
THE ONLY WELDING ALLOWED IS A PLATE ON THE EXTERIOR OF THE DRIVERS DOOR, BACK SEAT BAR,
GAS TANK PROTECTOR, FRONT BUMPER, HOOD BOLTS & ROLLOVER BAR! IF ANY OTHER WELDING IS
FOUND YOU WILL NOT HAVE A CHANCE TO CUT IT, YOU WILL NOT RUN.
Disclaimer to car builders and drivers: IF IT DOES NOT SAY YOU CAN DO IT WITHIN THESE RULES, DO
NOT DO IT. ALL CARS FOUND TO BE ILLEGAL WILL NEED TO BE CORRECTED TO PASS OFFICIALS
INSPECTION, CARS THAT DO NOT PASS INSPECTION WILL NOT RUN AND HAVE TO BE LOADED. ALL
JUDGES DECISIONS ARE FINAL WHICH MEANS: IF YOU OR YOUR PIT CREW WANT TO CHOOSE TO ARGUE
WITH ANY OF THE JUDGES BEFORE, DURING OR AFTER THE DERBY, YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED AND
POSSIBLY ESCORTED OUT OF THE EVENT. THIS IS A FAMILY EVENT AND YOU MUST BE RESPECTFUL AT
ALL DECISIONS BY OFFICIALS ARE FINAL!